Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Extra Credit Sonnet

Alone
I look down the street, waiting to see you  1
I wait for your light footsteps on the stairs 2
Memorize each grass stem heavy with dew 3
Wait at the window, my heart out to you 4
I can hear your engine purr down the street 5
As loud and quiet as the sound of dreams 6
I can smell your groceries, cheese and meat 7
I can hear your car pulsing with a beat. 8
But when no one turns, I know we can’t win 9
Because you are gone, and I am alone 10
The truth hurts me like a stone to the shin, 11
Burning my throat like a cold glass of gin 12
But I will know that wherever we are 13
Love will follow, one that nothing can mar 14

1 comment:

  1. It seems to me that the theme is that love can penetrate anything, even separation.

    Poetic elements are rhyme, simile, imagery

    Nice poem! I really liked the figurative language

    ReplyDelete